Soup For A Cold Day


This post should actually be titled: 

A Delivery Method For Kimchi


Maybe when you were a kid, someone would make you soup when you felt like crap. In my house at least, that soup was brightly coloured and came from a packet that usually had a chicken on it. I don't eat that stuff anymore (mainly because it's not vegan) but I still go for soup when I'm not feeling great. 

And it makes a perfect delivery method for kimchi. Now, I am no stranger to kimchi. Most often I will eat it with rice or straight out of the jar. But today, I wanted that comfort that comes from a steaming bowl of soup. 




Ok, enough talking, let's get on with the recipe. 

It's simple, cheap, and quick on top of being yummy. 

 Ingredients:

2 cups water
1 veggie bouillon cube
2-3handfuls of shredded cabbage mix
rice stick noodles
splash of seasoned rice vinegar
splash of soy sauce
spoonful of garlic chili sauce
kimchi

Put the water, bouillon, vinegar, chili sauce, & soy sauce in a pot & bring to a boil. 
Add in the cabbage & noodles. 
When the noodles are done, so is the soup. 
Top with kimchi and a sprinkle of sesame seeds & shredded pepper.


The cabbage mix is literally just bagged coleslaw mix from the store. It usually just contains green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots. I spent under $2 per bag and it works for multiple meals. Plus then I don't need to find room for a cabbage in my fridge. 

The kimchi I'm using is homemade, but really, use whatever you like. Kimchi is honestly one of my favorite foods, but I consume a lot more of it during cold & flu season. It has that fermented good bacteria and all. And enough spice to clear out your sinuses. And before anyone says anything, there are vegan friendly brands available. So just make sure to check the ingredients, or try making it yourself.

You know what else is great in this? Fried tofu puffs cut in half. And a drizzle of sesame oil. Maybe some pot stickers? I make different variations on this all the time. But the base is always the same.

Now go forth & consume!


Comments

Popular Posts